Wednesday, August 25, 2010

When in the Course of human events....

This is my very first blog post - ever. It is really more of a test than anything else. I have decided to start this blog as an experiment; the idea behind the blog is to create a forum for legitimate and thoughtful discussions about difficult and challenging issues. As I will address in upcoming posts, I have been thinking a lot about where humanity in general and Americans in particular are headed -- especially in the context of what seems to be a peculiarly intense, vitriolic, and hateful atmosphere in the country right now.  I have decided that instead of grumbling about it....

Grumbling Baby
....I would at least try and do what I can to repel or counteract what seems to me to be an extremely heightened intolerance wrapped up in and supported by an almost willful ignorance. To say the least, that bothers me. I mean for example, take this particular gem. Which is stirring up all kinds of concerns, that will likely be met with all kind of angry grumbling by people with everything to gain by being intolerant and nothing to lose. And there is this and of course that. And this guy. And of course that guy. Oh yeah and this other guy  who was the author of this legislative dime-piece.

And my concern, as I will address in a later post, is that the marketplace of ideas is no longer a functional mechanism (if it ever was) to test, contest, and press the validity of ideas. So I have decided to start my own little marketplace where ideas can be tested and debated. Although I have my political leanings, I am not interested in partisan hackery. I want to create a forum where multiple view points can be shared and eloquent dissent will be encouraged. I want to think about current topics from multiple perspectives and opposing viewpoints. And to the degree possible I want to deflate them of hot air so they can be seen for what they are and not what they purport to be. I think it is the duty of every citizen to engage in debate about core issues that concern one's immediate political and social environment. I have decided to accept that duty and would ask that you join with me. Please feel free to post topics, suggest ideas and anything else to get the ball rolling

3 comments:

  1. I like it. I am extremely frustrated that the media and politicians give so much time and weight to the polarized sides of debates. More often than not, it seems to me that many people on the fringes are basing their opinions on half-truths, outright lies, or paranoia. Furthermore, the hidden agenda that comes to these groups in the form of anonymous revenue streams is especially disturbing to me. Debate and disagree, but do those things based on your honest to goodness opinions and principles, not as the accidental puppet for some other group or person who is invested in the outcome of events.
    As I've been pondering how I can make a difference and help people in the world, I've been thinking about the polarized debate and the current state of politics. Discussion in a rational and practical way is important, but I'm stuck as to how to engage people and get them invested in exercising the power of the people.
    So many people are completely disenchanted with the government. Yet, the government should be the tool for the people. And, since most people don't believe in anarchy or a complete scrapping of our current system, what else are we left with aside from fixing what we have? How can we take back the government from the control of the corporations, wingnuts and fanatics and allow more rational discussion in the mainstream? How do we reengage people who think that the system is completely corrupt?
    And because perspective is important, I was talking to my Mom about this stuff and she said that I sounded like her 30 years ago. :)
    As far as blog ideas, I'd like to see a discussion about the world market/trade agreements/free trade agreements, etc. It's one of the topics that has me fascinated lately and is also completely politicized. Someone with a shaky understanding of the economy could easily get lost with all of the polarizing claims of the virtues of a free market vs. oppression of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dawn thanks for commenting!

    "More often than not, it seems to me that many people on the fringes are basing their opinions on half-truths, outright lies, or paranoia." I couldn't agree more with that point... I also agree about the hidden agenda. I do have some ideas for posts about those very topics.

    What I don't know and what I am also perplexed about is the issue you raise about engaging people and getting them investing in exercising their political power. I will give it to the teaparty folks, that while it might be in part an astroturf funded movement, these people are politically engaged and I have to respect that.

    But, my concern is the degree to which people operate under factual assumptions that are completely untethered from reality. And they bring guns.

    I am really not sure how to reengage people who think the system is corrupt. And I think you hit the nail on the head in many respects with that observation. People are disengaged for a reason. I do have some thoughts about that as well but maybe you can write a post about that topic. You are welcome to if you want.

    Regarding the world market/trade agreements etc...boy that is something I don't know anything about either. It is a good idea for a topic though. Maybe I will do some research or see if I can find someone with more knowledge about that area and convince them to post something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I have been thinking a lot about where humanity in general and Americans in particular are headed --...."

    Over a cliff? Cute baby though.

    ReplyDelete